As explained in 1 Thessalonians 5, Christ’s return will come at a time when the world may not expect because of not being alert to spiritual things. The world may be unprepared and the Lord’s return will be like a thief in the night (v. 2).
Those of the Light will be alert, self-controlled, and prepared; putting on faith and love as a breastplate (v. 8). No one knows when the “Day of the Lord” will be so we should live in a constant attitude of watching and waiting.
While watching and waiting, Paul gave the following specific directions to how we should live in the meantime:
- Encourage one another and building each other up
- Live in peace with each other
- Help the weak
- Be patient with everyone
- Always strive to do what is good for each other
- Rejoice always
- Pray continually
- Give thanks in all circumstances
- Hold on to what is good
- Reject every kind of evil
- Work at keeping your whole spirit, soul, and body virtuous
- Greet all God’s people with a holy kiss.
Lord, this day with You, help us to follow the instructions in this passage; always being alert, self-controlled, and prepared. We pray continually as we strive to have faith, hope, and love; doing what is good in Your eyes and encourage one another to do the same. Amen.